Qualitative research is an essential factor for different industries and domains. It usually involves research focused on various cultures, languages, individuals, and societies.
For example, a major company in the fashion industry might use qualitative research to gain a better understanding of what its target customers are looking for. Similarly, anthropologists might use qualitative research better to understand different cultures, beliefs, and practices.
Qualitative research relies more on direct sources, and therefore, interviews are vital for conducting qualitative research. Those interviews are later referenced during the analysis of the qualitative research.
What Is Transcription in Qualitative Research?
Transcription is the written account of the words spoken in an interview. It is an important part of qualitative research as the group interviews are written verbatim for the accuracy of the data source and for maximum convenience when referencing the interviews.
See Also: Qualitative Research Interviews for Novice Researchers
Why Is Transcribing Important?
There are several reasons why transcription of the audio content becomes rather necessary. Some of these reasons include:
- Having a transcript will minimize any unnecessary filler pauses and thinking words in the original audio that will help the audience better understand the message in a more concise manner.
- Recording and transcribing audios during interviews enable you to focus on the interview topic and the speaker instead of taking notes. You can naturally interact with them, and it will also allow the people being interviewed to feel more comfortable. You can always annotate the important points from the transcription later.
- A transcribed interview allows a reader to get a more objective look at the various responses of the conducted interview. Written transcripts are also always accessible and can be stored for future use.
- If you wish to publish your research online and want it to have high search rankings, it is important to focus on the SEO of the content. Having a transcript can give your content an advantage in terms of SEO because transcripts based on the audio content allow your visitors to find you from the search engine pages.
- Since qualitative research is a complex task, it is always better to find ways to save time. Transcription allows you to save time without compromising on the research work or the results. It enables you to find the facts easily without repeatedly going through the audio version of the interview. Also, understanding is much easier with reading instead of listening.
- There is no need to worry about the credibility or context of the multiple interviews conducted or be anxious about your working memory. The transcript is basically a complete written record of your research. You can simply scan through it and find out what you are looking for without much of a hassle.
- Quote the interviewee verbatim when you have an interview transcript ready. You can focus on the specific perspective and provide a better context for your research findings. It becomes easier for you to know the gaps in information if you have to conduct follow-up research on the same topic later.
See Also: The Rise of Video Usage in Market Research
Are you looking for a reputed transcription service for qualitative research for your interviews? If yes, then GMR Transcription is an excellent choice for the same. We are the leading transcription company for providing the most highly accurate and cost-effective transcription services. Save time and stop worrying about data accuracy with our transcription services.