According to a market survey conducted in 2019, the market research industry’s usage of videos for information is on the rise. The survey also revealed that:
- 93% of focus groups use videos for their sessions.
- 87% of people preferred submitting their projects through video.
- 87% of the in-depth online meetings were held through video interviews.
The trend is projected to rise in the future, with video transcription services coming into play.
2020 Qualitative Video Research
To keep up with the growing trend of video usage, businesses have to find ways to shift their focus towards online activities, and the same holds for market researchers.
A survey conducted on market research in 2020, to get insight into how video is becoming an integral part of the research, revealed that:
- 63% of the marketers claimed to have increased usage of online videos for their market research project and expect the trend to grow in the future.
- 17% of researchers who claimed to be extensively using videos in the recent past expect this trend to continue.
Most participants said they were becoming highly dependent on videos to gather critical data for their market research projects.
The primary reason behind the growth in video usage for market research could be due to easy access to the vast information found on YouTube and other online video platforms.
Advantages of Using Video for Qualitative Research
Apart from assisting in maintaining social distancing norms and following restrictions on travel, videos provide several other benefits to researchers such as:
- Reduced effort and time for both researchers and participants as they do not have to travel. This eliminates some key barriers for participation.
- Depending on the nature of the research, participants have the flexibility to participate in the survey at a time convenient for them.
- It helps eliminate geographical hurdles, enabling researchers to conduct more surveys every day.
- Video transcription enables people with hearing disabilities to participate in the surveys.
- Video transcription facilitates translating video to text.
- It enables the participants to access and observe segments of each session easily, thereby improving the engagement of stakeholders with research.
- Videos are more cost-effective compared to face-to-face research alternatives.
Challenges of Utilizing Video for Qualitative Research
Some difficulties with video usage for market research are as follows:
- A video would highlight a limited view of participants making it difficult to observe their body language and surroundings adequately.
- Slow internet connection is another major challenge that can reduce the efficiency of video research. For example, in a video discussion, the participants speaking over each other, and general technical issues like user or device errors can result in the decrease of quality experience in the process.
- When participants participate from home, the environment can be very distracting, with kids running around, phones ringing, or guests visiting.
- Poor quality audio can reduce the accuracy of video transcription and produce inaccurate translation from video to text.
- Video is not an effective research platform when the research requires the distribution of product samples to the participants to collect their responses.
- People can quickly burn out. With increasing screen hours, the urge to take a break has increased among participants.
- Managing the group of participants can be challenging.
- Ensuring the confidentiality of products and services might be difficult. For example, product development research might require you to use prototypes or samples. Giving these to individuals can make it challenging to ensure the confidentiality of these products, especially in an online environment
Problems with Using Video for Online and Offline Qualitative Research
In addition, there are several problems faced while using video as a medium of Qualitative research, such as:
Participation in surveys has been positively impacted by the emergence of video. However, there might still be some people who are unavailable during the meeting.
- Even when people are working from home and have easy access to the internet and laptop, the chances of lateness remain due to issues like internet speed or device issues.
- For a video meeting or research to be successful, it is critical to translate the speech into texts. It provides a reference to what people have said and makes the content searchable on the internet.
Both face-to-face qualitative research and video research have their own sets of pros and cons. However, despite the current and possible future prevalence of face-to-face research, video research might be a preferred medium in several cases.
GMR Transcription is among the most efficient and successful organizations providing video transcription services that guarantee 99% accuracy for all its transcription services. Our highly skilled and experienced team of translators ensures high-quality translated documents within a fast turnaround time. We take adequate steps to ensure the complete safety and confidentiality of your data.