Now we all know that there can be mistakes in transcriptions. It’s bound to happen. With all the information being shared in audio files, different accents and inflections used, fast and sometimes inaudible sections, and so on, transcriptions are bound to be subject to flops and inaccuracies. Sometimes, though, these errors can be hilarious. And when they’re hilarious, they go from error to FAIL.
Here is a list of some really funny (and in some cases unbelievable) medical audio transcription FAILs. If you have any of your own, please share them. Trust me, there’s always room for another FAIL or two.
1. The patient was breathing heavily with no signs of respiration.
2. She is numb from her toes down.
3. Social history reveals this 1 year old patient does not smoke or drink and is presently unemployed.
4. Patient called and left word that he had expired last week.
5. Patient was alert and unresponsive.
6. The patient arrived with death sitting on his shoulder.
7. Occasional, constant, infrequent headaches.
8. The lab test indicated abnormal lover function.
9. On the second day the knee was better, and on the third day it disappeared completely.
10. A baby was born in the toilet of the Emergency Department.
11. The infant was discharged to home with Mom in car seat.
12. The patient’s wife hit him over the head with an ironing board, which now has six stitches in it.
13. The patient had waffles for breakfast and anorexia for lunch.
14. The hemorrhoid got worse and finally came to the office.
15. The patient lives at home with his mother, father, and pet turtle, who is presently enrolled in day care 3 times a week.
16. When she fainted, her eyes rolled around the room.
17. The patient was in his usual state of good health until his airplane ran out of gas and crashed.
18. Discharge status: Alive but without permissions.
19. When I got into his mouth I could see why he was bleeding.
20. While in the emergency room, she was examined, X-rated and sent home.
My favorites are definitely #s 3 (thankfully!), 7 (hmmm….), 10 (don’t know what kind of hospital THAT is), and 20 (no comment… hahah).
What are your favorites on this list? Are there any other ones you know of??